Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Learning As I Go


The Early Years of Art Journaling



Today I sat and looked through the stacks of art journals and notebooks growing on my little stand. Some of which haven't been opened in 6 months or so. Memories came back looking at some as they hold so much emotions. Each page has a story or theme of their own. I explored a lot in my early journals and made plenty of mistakes. Countless hours were spend on YouTube and art blogs watching and learning. Doodling was something that I did all through high school and never would have thought it would be incorporated or a big part of art journaling.

Rewind to almost 5 years later, May 2011. After a year of exploring and making gawd awful but beautiful pages I decided to upload my first video. Not sure how many times I watched the video before I hit the upload button. This was going to be it, the whole world will watch, they are all getting a glimpse into my life. (Eek!) After some thought, I clicked the button. Here it is for you to watch and hopefully get inspired. 



After last weeks revisit with working with magazine clippings I got to thinking about the early years. At that time my crafting supplies were very limited. Gesso was a foreign word to me as was mod podge. Never knew watercolor crayons were magic and that PITT pens would be my favorite writing tool/marker. Everything was so new and interesting! I wanted every color of paint, tools and stencil that existed. It was crazy. I remember making my first trips to Michael's to buy inexpensive acrylic paint (which I still use), brushes, stencils, gel pens and a sketch book. Magazines were within arms reach and junk mail with fun images were kept for later use. Coffee sleeves were my favorite. I still keep some in my stash to use as a stencil or for added texture.

That moment I discovered and started art journaling was like reaching the top of a hill and on the other side a valley of green trees and blooming flowers beamed back at me. I found what made my heart sing. It was then that I decided art journaling was going to be apart of my life. Years later here I am, started a blog, making greeting cards, and painting big when I crave to throw paint. I hope that this inspires you to pick up a sketchbook and get journaling. Check back soon for the journal flip of my very first art journal!

Learn as you go.
xo-Starlynn



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop And Adore The Sky

We all have endless errands to do, places to go, people to see, and jobs to attend. The days start scrambling in with the one before an...